Precious Truthz Podcast

https://anchor.fm/precioustruthz/episodes/The-Importance-of-Amplifying-Black-Voices-epfefl

Sunday, October 22, 2017

Do What You Love!



I have continuously learned that you have to do what you love to be happy. I have made great strides to complete my education, to work hard to be successful, and I still feel unfulfilled. When I completed my bachelor's degree, I thought I would be happy but I still felt incomplete. Especially, since after graduation I hit rock bottom. I didn't have a career that I believed would be thrown to me, I didn't even have a job. Prior to graduating, I was working a paid internship at  MTA - NYC Transit. However, once I graduated I could no longer continue the internship. After graduation, I was confused and frustrated. I had finally completed my education and I was unemployed. I was applying to hundreds of entry level jobs, and somehow I did not qualify. The entry level jobs, either wanted more experience or more education. There were days that I felt depressed. I found my self asking, "How could I have done everything right, and I am still struggling?" There I was, with a bachelor's degree, living in the projects, without a job, surviving on unemployment and public assistance. It was a harsh reality, to work really hard and have nothing to show for it. I continued to apply to jobs, but I was unsuccessful. Eventually, I went to a job center that helped me to obtain a job, I was over qualified and underpaid for, but at that time I couldn't be choosy. I worked there for 6 months, until I found a better job. In that time I decided to go back to school, again. I felt like, if i obtained a Master's degree, it would help me to open doors in the future. I would be able to qualify for the entry level jobs, that claimed you need a master's degree to be eligible. Furthermore, I know people who would have been selected for promotions if they would have had a graduate degree. I never wanted to be in a predicted where not having an education hindered my upward mobility. Although, there are plenty of people who become millionaires without higher education, I have always been a person who wanted to be prepared.

Recently, May 31, 2017, I graduated with a Master's degree. Additionally, I was promoted to Supervisor at my job on March 6, 2017. I received a great raise, great benefits, and for years I have been able to support myself without public assistance (the greatest gift of all). As you can see, a lot has happened this year and the past few years. Even after all of this I still feel unsatisfied and unfulfilled. And I have finally figured out, it's because I am not doing what I love. I LOVE writing, I love being able to share my story, my past, and my failures to teach other people. I had consumed myself with society's version of success and forgot to do what I love. I like my job, I am grateful for the opportunity to move up in the company, which I will continue to strive to do, but I will certainly do what I love, which is writing. Often, I find my self daydreaming of alternative realities that I should be writing about. Great ideas form in my head that I write down, but have yet to complete.

 I know that many people, like myself, have to work to be able to support themselves and their families. Doing what you love, may not pay the bills at this time. However, if you develop your craft, and do your own thing, it may. You must first try it or you may find yourself like me. A person who did everything the way you was taught to do it, and have this great sense that there is something else you should be doing. I should have been writing on this blog as often as I could. I should have finished the book I have been working on for years, I should be preforming poetry at open mic events, I should be submitting my writings to magazine entries. All of these things, are things that make me happy and moving forward, I will be placing these things in my schedule. Especially, this blog. It will be updated every Sunday.

Welcome back, Precious Truthz!!!

1 comment:

  1. Welcome back. Good stuff. I commend you for deciding to do what you love.

    ReplyDelete

Share your Thoughts