Precious Truthz Podcast

https://anchor.fm/precioustruthz/episodes/The-Importance-of-Amplifying-Black-Voices-epfefl

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

SENSELESS VIOLENCE

Originally Written in 2011

Recently in my old neighborhood, a young life perished due to senseless violence. I don’t know why it happened, but I know that no reason is great enough for someone’s life to be cut short. Too many young men in this younger generation feel like they have something to prove, However what can proving your self get you after everything is said and done? The same people that you are trying to prove yourself to, will be the first people that will get you in to a situation that you will regret later. I will never understand how can you take away a person's life, when they can never get it back? I stated in one of my poems, “Death is a purchase that does not come with a receipt, there are no return policies, no fair exchange and no way to rearrange or change the sequence of events after death. There is no way to give someone back their final breath” (“Abuse”). I don’t believe there is any reason or excuse great enough to end someone’s life. No reason! And for those wondering do I believe in the death penalty? No I do not. If citizens are put to death for taking someone’s life, then why shouldn’t a law enforcer be put to death for taking that persons life. It should not be right for anyone to kill anyone. Death is an irrevocable decision.

         Besides, who came up with this unwritten “Hood” rule that all altercations, misunderstandings, and problems had to be settled with death? When did a fair fight become foolish and taking someone’s life become sensible? The answer is NEVER. Taking someone’s life due to a misunderstanding is senseless. Most Problems, Issues, Beef, etc start by a verbal disagreement. Censorship was banished a very long time ago, why should people have to be concerned about voicing their opinions? Why should people be cautious of who to speak to and how to speak to them? Agreeing to Disagree doesn't hurt any one. Why are people harming each other over words? Whatever happen to “sticks and stones can break my bones but words will never hurt me”?


I find myself questioning where does the problem begin? Who’s the blame? Don’t get me wrong, I believe in personal responsibility but, everything has a start. Is there violence in the home, is it the community that molds the young minds, is it the media? That question may never have a correct answer.

       The thing that upsets me most, is that a lot of this violence happens in urban communities. After years of activist fighting and dying for black people to live a better life, we’ve decided to kill ourselves. They supply us with the ammunition and we use it. We find reasons to kill our own brothers and sisters, then get mad when other races kill us too. I'm not disregarding the protest and outcry against police brutality, because it is definitely warranted. I'm stating that we need to stop the violence in our communities and against our own people. We need to become untied to be able to tackle all the issues that plague our communities.

We have to STOP THE SENSELESS VIOLENCE. Change starts with us, the people. Look how fast rumors spread on Facebook and twitter. Imagine how fast we can start a stop the violence movement??? We are the future and we can shape it if we work together.  My condolences goes out to the family of the victim. RIP Dykeem.


A Poem that speaks of violence please watch it. It's very intense.

2 comments:

  1. People need to foresee what their going to do rather than get upset when somethings happen to them. Sometimes people need to shrug things off rather than claim revenge because rage is a temporary feeling that needs to be channeled in another way

    ReplyDelete

Share your Thoughts